Monday, September 5, 2011

Friday Cooking: Fruit Pies

This week's cooking experiment was pretty uneventful. I had some leftover pie crust and fruit, so I thought we could make mini fruit pies. Nigel chose pears and peaches for the filling. I diced the fruit and sauteed it in some butter and brown sugar. Nigel helped roll out the pie crust and make circles with cookie cutters. Then I put some fruit on a circle and topped it with another circle. I had hoped to ice the tops of the pies with and icing made of powdered sugar and the juices from the fruit, but I didn't have enough powdered sugar on hand so it was too runny to use. The pies were very dry; I couldn't figure out how to keep juices inside the crust without it running out. Maybe I needed a cornstarch thickener? Cookies are up this Friday, so there will be lots for Nigel to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment