Thursday, April 28, 2011

LaLa Does D/FW


We had our first official overnight guest last week: LaLa (aka, my mom). She arrived on Saturday afternoon and left Thursday afternoon. Nigel was really stoked for her arrival; he even made a sign for the airport — and wrote his name! Her visit had some hiccups (LaLa was bumped from her flight from RVA to ATL, but made it on at the last second when someone gave up their seat; her luggage arrived on a later flight so we had to return to the airport that evening; and we had some roadwork on our street and our water was unexpectedly cut off — for the second time that week — for several hours), but all in all it was a really fun time.

When we picked LaLa up from the airport we met Aunt Nancy and Uncle Dan at Bartley's BBQ in Grapevine for a Texas barbecue dinner (rated among the Top 10 for barbecue in North Texas by D magazine; great smoked sausage, but bland greens). The following day, LaLa and I drove to Parker, Texas, to Southfork Ranch, where the TV show "Dallas" was filmed. It's a beautiful property, and the tour was interesting. I hadn't really watched the show, so LaLa was definitely more into it than me. Then we headed to Grapevine for lunch and shopping. Tim, Nigel and I had been to Grapevine several times before, but I'd never had time to look around. I was a tad disappointed because there were actually more restaurants than shops. When we returned home, LaLa and I took Nigel on a wagon ride around the neighborhood so we could see the gorgeous view of FW by the NBC station. That evening we went out to Los Molcajetes for dinner since the water hadn't yet been turned back on. I had the most amazing chicken (pollo a la plancha. It was such a good value, too. I ate it that evening, and then my mom and I finished it the following day for lunch.

On Monday, LaLa, Nigel and I walked around the FW Botanic Gardens and enjoyed a picnic of veggies and leftover Mexican food. Then we headed over to the FW Zoo to show LaLa Nigel's favorite animals. After a quick drink stop at Starbuck's (the temperature wasn't supposed to get above 83, but it was close to 93 by this time), Tim walked over from work just in time to take LaLa by the FW Water Gardens.

On Tuesday morning, LaLa went with Nigel and I to storytime at the library. After lunch we went to Sundance Square for some shopping and another drink break before picking Tim up from work. Then we all headed down to the Stockyards to see the Heard ushered down the street. After another Texas barbecue dinner at Cooper's (decent chopped brisket, good smoked sausage and very peppery beans), we were pooped and called it a night.

On Wednesday, LaLa's final full day in DFW, we went to Cavender's so LaLa could buy some cowboy boots and played at the mall play area. That evening LaLa and Nigel stayed home so Tim and I could have a date night.

There are several things we didn't have time to do, such as tour the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, but I think we packed a ton into this visit. Too much, perhaps. Although we had some time for finger painting and reading stories, next time I'll plan for lots more. Because when it comes down to it, let's face it, everyone really wants to come just to see Nigel!

No comments:

Post a Comment