Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Big Bad Wolves: Part 2

We talked a little here about the Big Bad Wolves. I have totally flaked on getting books from the library about STRANGER DANGER and BAD TOUCHING, but the topics have still been on my mind. As luck would have it, in my race packet there was a little bookmark from the Women's Center of Tarrant County that has some great tips that I thought I'd share:

Talk to your child about touching safely without scaring them: "If you are touched by someone in a way that you don't feel right about, tell me or an adult you trust. We will believe you and help you." "We don't keep secrets about touching."

Establish your own set of family rules: "You can say 'no' to anyone who wants you to break one of our family rules. I will back you up."

Play "What if's" to practice decision making: "What if you and I get separated at the mall."

Teach children that adults aren't always right: "Most adults touch children in appropriate ways, but some adults are mixed up and don't make good decisions about touching children." "If you aren't sure about something a grown-up says or does, ask me to help explain it."

Help children develop assertiveness skills: "Leave me alone. I'll tell." or "No!"

Practice responding non-verbally such as: Taking someone's hand off of them, running away, shaking the head.

I plan on going over these with Nigel this week. How have you prepared your kids to fight the Big Bad Wolves?

No comments:

Post a Comment