Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Last Week's Restaurant

I had a lot of work last week (don't forget to tell your friends about my editing and writing services), so in a moment of weakness I asked Tim to bring dinner home after he took Nigel to the playground on Wednesday. He brought back the most delicious Texas barbecue we've had to date. The spot is Smokeys; Tim read about it in D magazine, and it's gotten rave reviews online. We all had a sampling of meats: roast chicken, pork ribs, beef brisket and sausage. Each item was cooked perfectly; the meat was tender and juicy. Like most Texas barbecue, there wasn't any sauce. The meat was so good I didn't even miss it, though. We also had coleslaw (mayo-based with dried cranberries) and cowboy beans (jalapeno and chunks of meat). I think we've finally found a barbecue place to take guests.

On Saturday, Tim and I dined out sans Nigel. Yep, we have a Texas babysitter now!!! My hairdresser recommended her, and Nigel's smitten. So, while the wee one was in good hands, Tim and I headed to Byblos near the Stockyards. Some of the Lebanese/Greek items we've enjoyed at other Mediterranean restaurants were missing (to coincide with tamer Mid-West palates, perhaps?), but we really enjoyed our meal. My falafel was the best I've ever had. The outside was crispy and studded with sesame seeds, while the inside was still moist. Tim's shawarma platter was thinly sliced sizzling beef served with rice and veggies. The meat was very tender. And everything was served with fresh, hot pita bread. There's also a hooka lounge here, as well as belly dancing (we were too early for the latter).

All in all it was a pretty healthy meal that allowed us for a post-dinner splurge after some sight seeing and walking around an hour or so later: gelato from Paciugo!!! Paciugo is a chain that started in Dallas and can now be found in several states. I think they have more than 250 flavors, including several that are water-based, soy-based and sugar free. The gelato is made daily on-site; there are about 25 flavors out at any given time. Tim and I each got cups that can hold small bits of up to 4 flavors. I got chocolate coconut curry (sweet with a little bit of warmth at the end), roasted banana cashew crunch and turtle cheesecake, while Tim had peanut butter and cherry vanilla. I cannot tell a lie: I ordered something with coconut so Tim, who is allergic to said coconut, wouldn't be able to mooch. This gelato is just that good. YUMMY! I'd been off sugar for at least a month, so when we got home I was totally wired. Next time we'll take them up on the free samples, because there are just so many flavor possibilities (chocolate chipotle butter pecan is calling my name). You really can't go wrong, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment