Wednesday, March 9, 2011

FW vs. RVA: Wildlife. Take IV

Many apologies if you're sick of my wildlife updates, but I just really get a kick out of nature prevailing in this concrete jungle. Twice this week on my way into a nearby park to run I saw wild chickens (sorry for the grainy cell phone picture at left)! Each time they were in the woods, but pretty close to the road. When I slowed down to get a closer look they took off deep into the woods. The park is on a busy road, but it's also right along the river so I guess there's lots for them to eat.

I did a Google search for wild chickens, and all I came up with is Attwater's Prairie Chicken. Attwater's Prairie Chickens are endangered and look nothing like the ones I saw. So my guess is these guys are domesticated hens that have gone feral. Nonetheless, a pretty cool sighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment