Friday, December 31, 2010

Potty Training Update


You might recall that we started potty training with Nigel on Christmas Day. Why that day? That's the day Santa brought big boy underwear, of course. Plus, all of my talk of "no more diapers once we're in Texas" was squashed when I got here and realized I was just too overwhelmed to start right away.

We started after nap that day. It went as expected: lots of accidents. The following days have gone pretty well. We set our phone alarms to go off every 30 minutes to signal potty time. In a day or so we'll stretch to every hour. We've had no major accidents since the second day. To be fair, though, we also haven't left the house. Nigel also still wears a diaper during nap and bedtime. And we're still working on pottying in between alarms. A few times he's said "I'm not peeing" or "I can't pee in these?" to alert us that he needs to go. In addition to the alarms, we also bribe with a sticker chart. Each time something happens in the potty he gets a sticker. For every 10 stickers he gets to pick a prize from a bucket. (We started off giving a sticker every time he just sat on the potty, so we're slowly weaning off) Additionally, each day that he goes without an accident he gets to wear special (read: Yo Gabba Gabba or Sesame Street) underwear instead of the plain white ones.

I'm pleased it hasn't become the battle I thought it would be. He even kept up the routine when we had to move his potty seat into the main bathroom after his toilet started spewing water. I'm not saying it isn't a pain, because it certainly is, but it could be worse. Fingers crossed we keep up the progress so he can go to a little nature day camp this summer.

**Update: We ventured to the mall play area today diaper-free. When we first got there I took Nigel to the potty. I totally misjudged how tiny his booty is and dunked him in the toilet. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment