Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Changes for the McDonald Gang

Some big changes are headed our way starting Monday: I'm going back to work full time!

The feast-or-famine cycle that my freelance business of three years was in was just too unpredictable. I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had and for my amazing clients, but it's time for a change. (My freelance business will live on, though, so please continue to keep me in mind if you know anyone who needs proofing, editing or writing assistance.)

I hunted for three weeks, had some face-to-face interviews and a few phoners, and was offered three jobs. When you ask Texas for a job, it delivers. I'm going to join a team of technical editors at a local, mid-sized law firm. I'm very excited, but anxious. Anxious to go back to an office (no more working in my PJs) and anxious to leave Nigel at a proper day care.

Many good things will come out of this change, though. For starters, we'll be able to financially recover from Tim's job loss last year, moving and having our RVA house on the market for more than a year. With that will also come the ability to travel more (read, take proper vacations!). And while Nigel's new day care might not offer all that his preschool did, it's a block from Tim's work. Tim's hoping to have off every other Friday so the two of them can do fun things together.

So does anyone have any working mom tips on how to keep the household from going to pot? Tips on making the most of our time together?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Sarah! Big changes, indeed. I'll be thinking about you and Nigel tomorrow. I'll be eager to hear how it goes. Sending hugs!
    Amy in SLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah, it's Melissa! As I was feeding Grace this morning, I had the pleasure to get caught up on about three months' worth of blog posts! Just wanted to let you know I'm so happy for you and the McDonald gang. Also, here is a tip that I hope is helpful for your new routine: Break out your slow cooker! Stanton and I have been using ours almost twice a week since Grace was born :) Looking forward to talking with you soon, friend. Big hugs, Melissa XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete