Monday, June 27, 2011

San Antonio, Baby!

Saturday I had the pleasure of flying down to San Antonio to see my pal Melissa and attend her baby shower. Melissa and I became friends in RVA when she started freelancing for Richmond magazine while I was still working there. When I left the magazine to stay home with Nigel and start my freelance business, Melissa took over for me. She and her hubby Stanton ended up in San Antonio 2+ years ago, so she's technically my first Texas pal. You may recall we visited with her this spring in Dallas.

My trip was super quick (I arrived in San Antonio around 10:15 a.m. on Saturday and was back in DFW by noon on Sunday), but I got to spend lots of time with Melissa and Stanton and their families. The shower was so sweet; I can see that baby Grace is going to be surrounded by lots of love. We also spent time at Stanton's parent's house. They are easily some of the nicest people I've ever met. Melissa hit the in-law jackpot!!!! Talk about Texas hospitality!

Melissa and Stanton were also kind enough to show me around downtown. I got to see the Alamo and the famed River Walk. I was expecting the Alamo to be on top of a desert hill, but it's actually smack in the middle of the city. My brothers visited the River Walk on their way to Mexico for a mission trip during high school, so I knew it was going to be neat. That RVA says its canal walk is trying to be like San Antonio's River Walk is laughable. There is no comparison. San Antonio's River Walk is lively and full of shops and restaurants. Sure, it's a little touristy, but it's a focal point and something to be proud of. I can't wait to go back after baby Grace is born!

Today and tomorrow we're tying up loose ends for our trip to RVA. Nigel and I are also playing airport to prepare. He likes to pretend we're going through security, pull his suitcase around and say things that the pilot will say (think: "Ladies and gentlemen, we're now approaching Richmond, Virginia.").

1 comment: