Sunday, May 15, 2011

My First Solo Race



I was feeling pretty down after my first race in Texas Easter weekend. I wanted to redeem myself, and I also wanted to see if I could do it alone. Motivate myself. I'm totally grateful for the running coaches and partners I've had since January 2010, but I was feeling like I had lost some of my internal drive. Many of my issues with running are simply mental hurdles. So, on Saturday I did the Run for Sarah 5K.

I was unfamiliar with the course, but it turned out to be beautiful. We started at an enormous high school football stadium and ran through a neighborhood and around a lake. The weather was mostly ideal for running: the temperature was in the low 50s, but the wind was easily 15 mph.

How did I do? 38:56 (vs. 41:17 last time). I still have a lot of work to do to get back down to my personal record of 30 minutes, but it felt really good to complete this race all on my own. (A HUGE thanks to my cheering squad of two!!!)

2 comments:

  1. Yay Sarah! I'm so impressed! I'm doing my first 5K this Saturday, and I anticipate I'll be waaaayyy slow, like 42+ time frame...I can't even imagine the 38:56 time you had, let alone the 30 minute! You rock, woman! *bow down*

    ReplyDelete